Wednesday, December 22, 2010

In the Beginning...

Avar: We stand outside the gates of our enemies.  The Fiery Core looms.  If any man among the twenty-five of us is too afraid to continue on, let him speak now!


Others: We are with you, Avar!  Glory to our leader, and glory to the Indomitable Legion!


Avar: That is the enthusiasm I expect to hear from my fellow adventurers! Now, let us discuss what lies ahead.  I hope everyone followed my instructions I sent to the letter.  There is much to fear in this place.  Enemies that can melt the flesh from your very bones.  Roast you like a holiday ham.  Beings capable of such terrible magics that could explode your body from within.


Rasuka:  Pardon me, my liege, but I bring a report from the Aqualords.  They give us a gift-vials of enchanted water.  They instructed me to use it on the seven runes of the Flamelord.  There are four vials in total.


Avar: Excellent, Rasuka.  Hand one to me, keep one for yourself, and distribute the other two to the other Prime Lords when they arrive.  Did the Aqualords accept you kindly?  It is not often that humans are even allowed to hunt in their lands.


Rasuka: Thankfully, my lord, I am quite revered among the Aqualords.  They did require a demonstration of my magic before they trusted me with this substance.  Their reaction to my slaying the Hydra that threatened their shores with a few simple frost spells took care of that.


Avar: I was right to send you to them.  As skilled as I am with a sword and shield, I fear that a show of defensive prowess would not have been enough to impress those creatures.  Unlike you, I know no fanciful magic.  Ah, but here come Vesica and Novo now.


(Enter Vesica and Novo)


Vesica: Vesica of the Shadows and Novo of the Light reporting, sir.


Novo:  My lord, we apologize for our tardiness.  I know you wanted to get started on time this evening, so as to delay the need to make camp and rest for the night, but I was held up back at the Dwarven encampment in the highlands.  They had many wounded which I had to attend to.


Vesica:  I remained with our venerable healer to make sure that no harm would come to him.  I also scouted the area for possible reinforcements for the armies we are set to face.  I was not seen.


Avar:  Your tardiness shall be forgiven, seeing as how there was a just cause.  Rasuka here will provide you each with a vial of the enchanted water.  We, apparently, must put out the magical runes that we shall encounter in this area.  What are they for exactly, Rasuka?


Rasuka: The Aqualords had but this to say to me.  "You must halt the return of the Great Fire Lord.  Put out the seven cursed runes, and slay the beast that comes forth before he can bring about the chaos that is the Lord of all Flames."


Novo:  My research has told me much about this Fire Lord.  It would take me hours to explain to you every detail, but here is a short synopsis.  He is an elemental creature, capable of bending fire to his every whim.  A massive creature that existed long ago, but was banished from our world in a great battle.  I'm not entirely sure that we can defeat this foe as it stands.  We would need to ward his fire abilities, somehow, or else we would be easily defeated.  As adept as you are with the shield, Avar, you would stand no chance.  He would crush you in mere moments.


Vesica: Bah!  Every enemy has a weakness.  Give me a minute with the creature.  I'll find it.


Avar: Enough, brothers!  We have a crew to lead.  Let us do our proper duty.

No comments:

Post a Comment